Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pearl Harbor marked, but by fewer survivors

The article I read was about Pearl Harbor, and how survivors of the attack are dwindling in numbers. The article also shares some facts and statistics of the attack, along with briefly describing what happened. One of the main focuses of the story was the USS Arizona, that sank with 1,177 of its 1,400 members still aboard. The deaths of the Americans on the USS Arizona were nearly half of the total deaths, which totaled 2,390.
If you would like to read more of this article, here is the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40552543/ns/us_news-life/

This article really speaks to me because I have always found it vey important to honor our veterans, especially because my grandfather and my great grandfather both fought in a war. This article speaks all about honoring the people who were fighting for our freedom, and to me those people cannot be thanked enough, not now, not ever. In that one day, 2,390 men died, that's as if we took 1 out of every 5 people in our town, Alexandria, and killed them, can you imagine what that would be like? Let's not forget that behing each fallen soldier, is a grief stricken family, whose lives will never be the same. If there's really anything to learn from the article, it's that our veterans deserve more thanks than we are giving them, I know we have monuments, centers and even national holidays, but for the price of freedom, I'd say we can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment